Card game in Unreal engine 4
I had great ambitions for this project, I had an idea that I was excited for and thought could be a fun game. Unfortunately not having any experience with Unreal meant that I hit many speed bumps during my 5 weeks and the end result is not very representative of the product I had in mind.
Because of this, the project had to be refocused from a game design project, to a "Learn Unreal" project. Advanced features had to be cut and I had to focus on basic implementations, such as playing a card, gaining and spending
coins and drawing cards.
Everything was made from an empty project so every feature took time to implement. My greatest obstacle was how to make different actors communicate with each other. My solution was that the game state class was a middle man for every "interactor" interaction.
For not having used Unreal 4 ever, I think the progress I made was adequite and I am still confident that my game idea is solid. So I do not consider this project a failure, and given more time, I think this project could have been much more.
- Drawing cards to your hand
- Cards in your hand arrange themselves in an arch
- Hovering over cards in your hand places them in front of other cards
- Gaining "coins"
- Spending coins when playing cards
- Playing cards if you have enough resources
- Played cards are played in a predetermined lane order (left lane, right lane, middle lane)
- Spending action points when gaining coins, drawing cards, playing cards and attacking with soldiers
- Regaining action points when passing the turn
- Data table with card information and stats
- Cities can take damage and have an initial health